Use this easy vegan vanilla custard to top puddings in winter or for trifle in summer. Don’t stop there, it’s perfect for tarts, cakes and other desserts. This custard is more than a supporting ingredient. It can shine on it’s own as a vanilla or flavoured custard.
Vegan custard is eggless. The usual process of thickening with eggs is substituted by the use of corn flour. You’ll achieve all the creamy taste and flavour with this simple substitution and easy recipe.
Tips for making vegan vanilla custard
The cooking method for the custard is easy. The secret is making sure to achieve a smooth custard with no lumps. Do this by removing the pan from the heat once the custard has reached the desired consistency. Then, continue to stir the custard as it cools.
Be mindful that the custard will continue to thicken slightly once removed from the heat.
By using the corn flour as a thickening agent you will be able to achieve different consistencies in the custard. A pouring custard pairs perfectly with puddings, like this vegan steamed date pudding. For an Easter treat make Alice In Frames Hot Cross Bun Jam and Butter Pudding.
Make a vegan pastry cream by cooking the custard to a thicker consistency and add to doughnuts, cakes or maybe a vanilla slice. A dash of turmeric in the recipe gives the hint of yellow colour associated with custard.
Custard will store in the fridge for 2 – 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave or in a saucepan, adding some plant milk if needed to adjust the thickness.
Easy Vegan Vanilla Custard
- 1½ cups Plant-milk
- ⅔ cups Plant-cream
- ½ cup Corn Flour
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Make a slurry with the corn flour and a small amount of the plant-milk and set aside.½ cup Corn Flour
- Add all remaining ingredients to the saucepan off the heat. Stir to combine, then add the corn flour slurry.1½ cups Plant-milk, ⅓ cup Sugar, ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, ⅔ cups Plant-cream
- Over a medium heat stir the custard continuously until it thickens to a creamy custard. The custard will take between 2 – 5 minutes to thicken. Remember the custard will continue to thicken once removed from the heat.
- Remove the custard from the heat and continue to stir for a few more minutes, until the custard begins to cool down.