When I saw Alice in Frames make this Hot Cross Bun Jam and Butter Pudding on ABC News Breakfast, I knew it was a must-have to enjoy over the Easter long weekend. A couple of easy substitutions with regular pantry ingredients are all that’s required to make this recipe vegan-friendly.
This recipe comes with a warning: be prepared to eat the entire serve hot out of the oven. As someone who’s not a huge fan of pudding, but someone who loves hot cross buns, I took a leap of faith on this recipe. I was not disappointed. This might be the actual fact you only see a part of the baking dish in the photos, the other half of the baking dish had been devoured.
This dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at Easter and it’s very easy to make. I’d probably double the recipe if you’re entertaining because everyone will want seconds. Or, go and do what I did yesterday which was race to the supermarket and stock up on hot cross buns for the freezer, so I can make this as a quick pudding during the cooler months. On that, Hubster ate a serve cold last night and said he can’t decide whether he prefers it hot or cold, only that it’s the best thing he’s ever eaten. My work is done.
Be sure to check out Alice In Frames for some decadent variations of this pudding, as well as an abundance of veg-forward recipes.
Alice in Frames Hot Cross Bun Pudding (vegan version)
- Baking Dish
- Small Saucepan
- Chopping Board
- 6 Hot Cross Buns
- 60 g Butter plus extra for greasing
- ¼ cup Jam
- 1½ cups Plant based milk
- ⅔ cup Planted based cream or increase plant based milk if you don't have cream handy
- ½ cup Corn Flour
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Icing Sugar, for dusting optional
- Cream, Ice-cream or extra custard to serve optional
- Line base of baking tray and grease sides. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice the hot cross buns in half and add butter and jam liberally. Marry up tops and bottoms then slice into 1cm fingers length ways.6 Hot Cross Buns, ¼ cup Jam, 60 g Butter
- Wedge the hot cross bun fingers in the baking tray, then prepare the custard.
- In the small saucepan off the heat add all custard ingredients. Stir with the whisk until all the lumps are gone.1½ cups Plant based milk, ⅔ cup Planted based cream, ½ cup Corn Flour, ⅓ cup Sugar, ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- On a medium heat, stir the liquid continuously until the liquid begins to thicken slightly. Do not over-thicken the custard mixture as it will firm up when baking.
- Pour the custard over the hot cross buns and pop in oven. Check the bake after 15 – 20 minutes. Optionally, add some jam to the top of the buns for the last 10 minutes for a burnished finish. The pudding is baked once the custard is set and should be within 25 – 30 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar and/ or cinnamon and serve with cream, ice-cream or extra custard for a sensationally decadent treat.Icing Sugar, for dusting, Cream, Ice-cream or extra custard to serve