Many of us would have childhood memories of crunchy Cornflake Biscuits. The original recipe from the 1940s has been reimaged as egg-free, dairy-free and completely vegan in my modern take on this classic..
This recipe has been modified from one written by Jean, who lost her husband George when he was electrocuted by a milking machine. As a young widow with four children, Jean battled on. She went on to share the recipe with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, in loving memory of George who proclaimed these biscuits his favourite. Perhaps this recipe might re-ignite some nostalgic memories of your own.
Vegan Cornflake Biscuits
These biscuits are very easy to make and would make a good cooking activity to share with children. Create a new generation of memories with this classic recipe which is also cheap and quick to make.
If you enjoy classic recipes, you might also like this Vegan Dark Coffee Cake.
Classic Recipes: Vegan Cornflake Biscuits
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer or Large Mixing Bowl and Wooden Spoon
- 3 x Large Baking Trays
- Fine Sieve
- 250 g Non-dairy butter
- ½ cup White Sugar
- 2 tsp Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp Golden Syrup
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp Bi-Carb of Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts
- ½ cup Chopped Dates
- 100 g Corn Flakes
- Preheat oven to 150° Celsius
- Mix the Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer with water and set aside.2 tsp Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer
- Cream butter and sugar.250 g Non-dairy butter, ½ cup White Sugar
- Add No Egg and Golden Syrup.2 tsp Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer, 2 tsp Golden Syrup
- Sift in dry ingredients, add vanilla, dates and nuts. Mix to combine.1 cup Plain Flour, 1 tsp Cream of Tartar, ½ tsp Bi-Carb of Soda, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence, ½ cup Chopped Dates, ½ cup Chopped Walnuts
- Partially crush the Corn Flakes to add texture. Drop a teaspoon of mixture in Corn Flakes to coat. Place on baking trays with allowance for spreading. Cook for 25 minutes.100 g Corn Flakes