There’s no doubt this slice is named for it’s pure decadence and richness. It’s next level rich and everyone can do with some extra riches, even if it’s in the form of dark chocolate with a gooey caramel filling, on a biscuit-y base.
This is a no-recipe recipe. If you have a tried and true biscuit base, use that. A favourite caramel filling that you’ve perfected to exactly the right amount of richness, perfect. This slice is like your scone recipe, for you to tweak, should you so desire. Otherwise, the recipe below will make you feel rich in no time at all.
Did I mention it has Biscoff Spread?!
This makes a decent-sized slice. And because it’s so darn rich, a little goes a long way. When I last made this, there was ample to give away a third of the batch and leave the balance in the fridge to snack on through the week. Okay, sure – it’s not a healthy snack but it’s certainly a comfort snack for times when you need a little bit more than hummus and crackers to soothe the soul.
Vegan Millionaire’s Slice
- Baking Tray 20 x 30cm
- Blender or Food Processor
- Microwaveable Bowl
Vegan Millionaire Slice Base
- 200 g Plain Flour
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 100 g Butter
- 250 g Dark Chocolate
- Pinch Salt
Vegan Millionaire Slice Caramel
- 100 g Biscoff Spread
- 300 g Medjool Dates (Pitted)
- 75 g Butter
- 100 g Muscovado Sugar
- 150 g Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 40 ml Boiling Water
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line baking tray.
Make the Vegan Millionaire's Slice Base
- Measure flour, butter, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Rub the mixture with your fingers until ingredients are incorporated and form a crumb-like texture.
- Press the base mixture into the greased and lined baking tray. Bake in oven until the base is a light golden brown (around 10 – 12 minutes).
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool while preparing the filling.
Prepare the Vegan Millionaire's Slice Filling and Chocolate Topping
- Put dates and boiling water in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the butter, sugar, syrup, vanilla extract and Biscoff spread and blend until smooth.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and melt in the microwaveable bowl. Check the chocolate after each 30 second burst by giving it a stir. Repeat until the chocolate is melted, taking care not to burn. This can also be done using the double-boiler method on the stove top. Pop some hot water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place the chocolate in a glass bowl and leave to melt, stirring gently.
Assemble the Vegan Millionaire's Slice
- Pour the caramel mixture from the food processor over the biscuit base. Smooth it out to an even layer.
- Finish the slice by gently pouring the melted chocolate over the caramel filling in an even layer.
- Pop in fridge until cool, a minimum of 3 hours recommended.