Sigh, where to begin with this little beauties? It’s hard to decide whether to start with the fact this batch makes about 50 cookies (!), that they’re infinitely better than any other Ginger Nut biscuit or the recipe is blissfully easy to make. The recipe did recommend making a double batch and freezing for up to a month. Do your future self a favour if you make this recipe by doubling the batch.
🌱 Vegan substitutions were easy for this recipe: ⠀
🧈 BUTTER @nuttelexspread Buttery is my every day and cooking butter. ⠀
🥚EGGS I used 2 teaspoons of @orgranfoods No Egg Egg Replacer with 1 tablespoon of water.⠀
📚 RECIPE @inpraiseofveg ‘a modern kitchen companion’ by @aliceinframes⠀
🗣 Favourite phrase from this recipe: “stir just enough for the dry bits to make friends and get rid of the lumpy bits”.
As the recipe yields so much dough and was cooked across a number of batches, I varied the cooking time slightly for each batch. Some are a little more burnished and crunchy, others more golden and chewier in the middle. Don’t ask me to pick a favourite, that wouldn’t be fair. Also, each time you open the container these cookies are stored in, the smell is almost as delicious as the freshly-baked-and-out-of-the-oven-smell.
Six-Spice Ginger Cookies
- In Praise of Veg Cook Book
- Large Saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Rolling Pin
- 3 x Large Baking Trays
- Coarse Grater
- Full ingredient list and method in In Praise of Veg
- 1/2 cup Black Treacle
- 1.5 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1.5 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 cup Crystallised Ginger
- 2 tsp Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer
- In Praise of Veg Cook BookPlease buy this book. It is without doubt, the most glorious cook book I've ever owned. I find myself reaching for it even when I'm not looking for recipe inspiration to simply soak up the joyousness of it's pages. I've learned so many cooking tips and invariably have a chuckle as Alice brings her engaging personality to light through each of the pages.
- Vegan SubstitutionsVegan substitutions were easy and worked very well for this recipe. You'll find the full ingredient list and method on page 106 of In Praise of Veg, with my vegan substitutes below.
- 🧈 BUTTER @nuttelexspread Buttery is my every day and cooking butter.
- 🥚EGGS I used 2 teaspoons of @orgranfoods No Egg Egg Replacer with 1 tablespoon of water.
- 🗣 Favourite phrase from this recipe: "stir just enough for the dry bits to make friends and get rid of the lumpy bits”.