Recipe by Queen of Cakes, Katherine Sabbath for KitchenAid
I clearly recall the conversation with my friend, Renee who was raving about her new KitchenAid Mixer. She was such an advocate, I went out that same day and bought one. I am now that advocate and have been so impressed with KitchenAid appliances, I continue to add them to my kitchen. Yet only recently have I started to bake recipes from the KitchenAid website. This is my first!
I was definitely setting myself up for success by choosing a recipe by Katherine Sabbath, Queen of Cakes. Katherine’s Caramelised Apple Cake was easy to veganise and there’s plenty of left over home-made vegan Dulce de Leche to drizzle over ice-cream after the cake is finished.
Vegan Substitutions for Caramelised Apple Cake
This cake worked perfectly with vegan substitutions. The toffee top was glossy, crunchy on the edges and chewy in the center. The vegan dulce de leche layered the toffee flavour through the cake batter. Divine!
Egg was substituted with the ever-reliable Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer. This Orgran product is my go-to for egg replacement in baking and never lets me down.
Vegan dulce de leche was easy to make and this recipe leaves plenty of left-overs for ice-cream topping, or anything else you want to cover in a thick, toffee sauce.
Vegan Caramelised Apple Cake
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- 24cm Cake Pan
- Full ingredient list and method via KitchenAid (recipe link below).
- 3 tsp Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer with 2 tbsp water
Dulce de Leche
- 1 can Coconut Milk (400ml)
- 1 can Coconut Cream (400ml)
- 1½ cups Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
Caramelised Apple Cake
- Vegan SubstitutionsVegan substitutions were easy and worked very well for this recipe. You'll find the full ingredient list and method on the KitchenAid website here, with my vegan substitutes below.
- BUTTER @nuttelexspread Buttery is my every day and cooking butter. ⠀
- EGGS I used 3 teaspoons of @orgranfoods No Egg Egg Replacer with 2 tablespoons of water as replacement for the egg yolk.⠀
Vegan Dulce de Leche
- Put all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Whisk to combine over a high heat while bringing to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until thickened. Take care the sauce doesn't burn or boil over.
- Cool then place into jars, then refrigerate.