Cakes have always been my favourite thing to bake. I really enjoy cooking but there’s something extra nice about baking a cake for a special occasion, a loved one or to snuggle up with a cup of tea on a cold, Wintry day.
As my confidence with vegan baking has grown, experimenting with flavours and recreating cooking staples is something I’ve been doing more and more. My to-bake list is sitting at some 60+ recipes and I love browsing the list for inspiration on what will be baked in the week ahead.
Dulce de Leche went right to the top of my list when I found the Caramelised Apple Cake recipe by Katherine Sabbath I wanted to bake. Bake it I did and you can find my vegan version of this rich, toffee cake with crisp apples on the blog soon!
As more and more vegan products become available, the less we’ll need to do to recreate vegan ingredients. For now though, this vegan dulce de leche works nicely.
Vegan Dulce de Leche
- Large Saucepan
- 1 can Coconut Milk (400ml)
- 1 can Coconut Cream (400ml)
- 1½ cups Brown Sugar
- Put all ingredients in saucepan.
- Whisk to combine over a high heat while bringing to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until thickened. Take care the sauce doesn't burn or boil over.
- Cool then place into jars, then refrigerate.