Vegan beetroot relish is delicious with meat, fritters, tofu, cheese – everything really. When a relish is so good you want to eat it out of a jar you know you’re on to a good thing.
I made a double batch of this beetroot relish at the beginning of Summer, thinking I’d have plenty to enjoy over many months to come. However, I underestimated how delicious and versatile this relish is. It’s true, I was literally eating it out of the pan as it was being made. Once I managed to get the relish in jars, I was eating it right out of the jar when not slathering it on everything I could.
Use the relish to baste tofu before pan-frying or baking, as a condiment with hot or cold meat (we’re especially enjoying it with sausages), on a cheese sandwich, or dip on a cheese platter. And if you’re making Alice Zaslavsky’s world-famous zucchini fritters, you won’t go wrong with a good dollop of this on top.
Beetroots are still in season, so I recommend making as many batches of this while beets are in abundance.
This relish will store for several months in properly sterilised jars, sealed while hot. Keep in the pantry cupboard until opened and pop in the fridge once you’ve opened the jar.
I take the additional step of preserving my jars to make them shelf-stable for years. I’ll write more about this in a future post but if you have any questions about this in the meantime, please let me know.
- 1 Large Saucepan
- 1 Coarse Grater
- Food handling gloves for grating of beetroot
- 2 – 4 Small, sterilized jars
- 2 large Beetroot (raw)
- 1 large Onion
- 1 Chilli or more, to taste
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¾ cup Raw Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Zest of one Lemon
- Sterilize jars and lids using your preferred method.
- Thinly slice the onion and add to the pan. Soften over a medium heat until lightly caramelised.1 large Onion
- While the onions are cooking, grate beetroot (gloves optional), chop the chilli and zest the lemon.2 large Beetroot (raw), 1 Chilli
- Once the onions are caramelised add all remaining ingredients to saucepan. Simmer gently for around 15 minutes. When the relish passes the taste test, you're done.½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar, ¾ cup Raw Sugar, 1 teaspoon Salt, Ground Black Pepper, 1 Zest of one Lemon
- Spoon relish into the sterilised jars and seal with the lid while hot. Alternatively, follow recommended process for preserving method if taking this additional step.