I haven’t mastered the pronunciation of this dish but I feel I’ve 💯 nailed the dish. Zrazy (pronounced ZRAH-zii) are golden mashed potato rissole-like parcels of deliciousness.
Hubster loves mashed potato and often requests it. I really dislike it, so it’s fair to say mashed potato almost never gets a run in this house. This recipe has elevated the humble mash into something that is now on my favourites list and will go into rotation as a regular meal.
The mushroom duexelles is such a simple method of cooking yet the flavour result is intense. It took immense self-control not to shovel this into my mouth warm out of the pan. Or for that matter, cold after taking some photos this morning.
The mushrooms are encased by rich, fluffy mashed potato which is then pan-fried for a crispy, golden finish.
Vegan Substitutions for Mushroom-Stuffed Potato Zrazy
Vegan substitutions were easy for this recipe and it cooked perfectly as vegan-friendly.
I always have a couple of packets of Orgran No Egg Egg replacer in my pantry – I go through quite a lot of this. It’s readily available from most health stores and is also stocked by some Woolies. A flax egg might work as a substitute in this dish, however might result in adding a ‘speckled’ finish to the mash and might be slightly less visually appealing.
I served the Zrazy for dinner with a simple side of steamed green beans, melted butter, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and sprinkle of salt flakes. For lunch, one of these went down a treat on it’s own after being gently reheated in a skillet.
In Praise of Veg Cook Book Giveaway
If you’re reading this post before the evening of Sunday 21 March, 2021 you might be interested in the giveaway of a copy of In Praise of Veg Cook Book. Details are in the Random Act of Kindness post, here.
Mushroom Stuffed Potato Zrazy with Satsibeli
- In Praise of Veg Cook Book
- Wide-based Frying Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Fine Sieve
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Full ingredient list and method in In Praise of Veg
- 1 tsp Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer with 1 tbsp water
- 300 ml Loco Dairy Free Thickened Creamy
- 2 cups Cold Mashed Potato
- ⅔ cup Gluten Free Flour
- 400 g Mixed Mushrooms
- 2 Brown Onions
- In Praise of Veg Cook BookPlease buy this book. It is without doubt, the most glorious cook book I've ever owned. I find myself reaching for it even when I'm not looking for recipe inspiration to simply soak up the joyousness of it's pages. I've learned so many cooking tips and invariably have a chuckle as Alice brings her engaging personality to light through each of the pages.
- Vegan SubstitutionsVegan substitutions were easy and worked very well for this recipe. You'll find the full ingredient list and method on page 320 of In Praise of Veg, with my vegan substitutes below. I also used the Mash Recipe from page 298 of In Praise of Veg.
- BUTTER @nuttelexspread Buttery is my every day and cooking butter. ⠀
- EGGS I used 1 teaspoon of @orgranfoods No Egg Egg Replacer with 1 tablespoons of water as replacement for the egg yolk.⠀
- CREAM (for Mashed Potatoes) I used Loco Dairy Free Thickened Creamy