A dense slice packed with dates and nuts that’s more-ish for all the right reasons. Delicious on its own or slathered with butter, this quick and easy slice will soon become a favourite.
My love affair with classic recipes from the early 1900s onwards continues. The simplicity of ingredients and method; and a budget-friendly recipe that’s full of flavour has been a big ‘yes’ from me in my kitchen.
This vegan Caramel Date and Nut slice is no exception. It’s that delicious, I popped into the kitchen and cooked one because just thinking about it as I typed this post made me yearn for one. Try it, you won’t be disappointed.
Vegan Caramel Date and Nut Slice
There are just seven ingredients in this slice, most – if not all, you’re likely already to have in your pantry. Aside from chopping some dates and nuts, it’s mix and pour into the pan before popping in the oven. You’ll be sitting down with a cuppa and a piece of buttered slice in less than 30 minutes. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
If you’re looking for another classic recipe to try this Dark Coffee Cake is equally delicious and yields a larger quanity.
Classic Recipe: Caramel Date and Nut Slice
- Loaf Pan 12cm x 22cm (4¾in x 8¾in)
- Medium Saucepan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 125 grams Non-dairy Butter
- ½ cup Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup Dates chopped
- ¾ cup Pecan Nuts chopped
- 2 teaspoons Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup Self-Raising Flour
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and grease loaf pan.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and stir well.125 grams Non-dairy Butter, ½ cup Brown Sugar
- Remove from heat, stir in dates.1 cup Dates
- Add egg-replacer, vanilla, sifted flour and pecan nuts. Stir well.2 teaspoons Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer, 1 cup Self-Raising Flour, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence, ¾ cup Pecan Nuts
- Spread into loaf pan, bake for around 15 – 20 minutes.