Elevate the humble green pea with mint and lemon zest. This minted pea recipe is a delicious side to complement your main meal, whatever the season.
Kids of the ‘meat-and-three-veg’ generation were often left pushing peas around their plate. As a child there were countless times spent sitting at the dinner table until I’d eaten all my peas. Peas, yuck! No more though. I enjoyed pea risotto on our wedding day. Dinner for two as we eloped. That’s a whole other story.
Minted Peas are a delicious side whether the weather is hot, cold or somewhere in between. Peas allow the main dish to shine while humbly adding colour and freshness to the plate. Adding lemon zest and mint to peas will really transform this dish.
They pair perfectly with this vegan Shepherd’s Pie.
Minted Peas with Lemon Zest
- 500 gm Thawed Frozen Green Peas
- 2 Spring Onions thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Dairy-Free Butter
- ⅓ cup Fresh Mint finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp Lemon Zest
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Melt 1tbsp butter in skillet and add thinly sliced spring onions. Stir until tender.
- Add green peas to pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until peas are heated through.
- Add in mint, lemon zest and remaining butter. Stir until butter is melted. Serve.